Check out this amazing Mushroom Ravioli Consomme recipe using our pasture raised chicken bones from Lentelus Farms. This recipe is courtesy of our friend, Sonal!
● 4 cups cold water
● 1 whole chicken carcass
● 2 large onions quartered
● 2 large carrots rough chop, leave the chunks large
● 4 stalks celery rough chop, leave the chunks large
● 2 bay leaves
● 10 whole peppercorn
● 1 cup parsley stems and leaves
● 5-7 springs thyme
● 1-2 tbsp butter
● 1 lb shitaki mushrooms thick slices
● 1 sprig rosemary
● 1.5-2 lbs mushroom ravioli
● 2 egg whites
- In a large pot, add cold water, chicken bones, onion, carrots, celery, bay leaves, whole black pepper corn, parsley, and thyme.
- Bring it to a boil and simmer for 45 minutes. While simmering occasionally skin off the foam that rises to the top.
- After 45 minutes, strain the stock and discard the solids. Allow the stock to cool before setting in the refrigerator.
- Put the stock in the refrigerator until it is cold and all of the fat is floating at the top and solidified.
- Skim the fat off and stir in egg white to the broth. Whisk it really well.
- Bring the stock back to a boil and simmer for about 15 minutes while the egg whites rise to the top. You should be able to see the clear broth through parts of the egg white raft that has formed on top.
- After 15 minutes line a colander with cheesecloth and place the condor in another pot.
- Ladle the egg white raft slowly into the colander and pour the chicken consomme over top very slowly.
- Set the consomme aside and prepare the mushrooms and ravioli.
- Saute sliced mushrooms in a non-stick pan with some butter and thyme until they have softened and browned on both sides. This should take about 5 minutes.
- Prepare ravioli as the package describes.