Minute steaks recipes
These recipes are brought to you by Trevor Bird, chef & owner at Fable Kitchen (Kitsilano, Vancouver) for the following cuts in your Meatme box:
- Top Round
- Outside round
- Eye of round
- Top sirloin
- Top sirloin medallion
- Sirloin cap
- Rib cap
- Flank steak
All these steaks behave the exact same way. They are all usually quite thin and cook very quickly. To avoid drying the meat out the trick is to sear on very high heat for 2-3 minutes per side. After the searing remove and let rest for 5 minutes, turning the steak every minute while resting. After they are cooked and rested, cut the steaks. It’s important to slice them as thinly as you can against the grain (If you notice the fibers in the meat running in a certain direction, like this: IIIII, you want to cut against the grain, perpendicular to this: IIIII. Do not slice vertically, the steak will be very tough to chew.)
These steaks are great for the BBQ and can be used in the following procedures.
- Steaks with sides
- Stir fry’s
In all these procedures, cook the steak separately from everything else you prepare, slice and place on top when you’re done. Some simple recipe ideas:
1. Stir fry sauce
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1 cup hoisin
- 1 cup sweet red chilli sauce
- ½ cup rice wine vinegar
- ½ cup water
- 1 tbs corn starch
- Mix the soy, hoisin, and chilli sauce. Put in a pot and bring to a simmer
- Mix corn starch and water, slowly drizzle this into the mixture and cook for 2 minutes over med heat. Let cool.
- You can add a knob of ginger to the mix and garlic for extra flavour.
2. Simple stir fry
- 1 head Broccoli cut into florets
- ½ head cauliflower cut into florets
- large handful button mushrooms cut in ¼
- 1 large onion sliced
- 1 red pepper
- 1 yellow pepper
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- ½ cup veg oil
- 4 line wedges
- 1 bunch Cilantro picked
- 1 cup cashews
- 4 cups cooked rice
- In a large wok or pan turn heat to med.
- Add in a tbsp of veg oil and onions, saute the onions until slightly soft, for roughly 5 minutes.
- Add in the cauliflower, cook for 2 minutes, then add in mushrooms, broccoli, and peppers. Add a little more oil if necessary.
- Saute all the vegetables until they are almost cooked, but still a little crunchy, this will take 5-10 minutes.
- Use the stir fry sauce to coat the vegetables and toss in the pan.
- Split the rice between 4 people and place the vegetables on top.
- Place the cooked steak on top of the vegetables.
- Sprinkle with cilantro and cashews, serve with a lime wedge.